Our Environmental Journey
The Scenic Hotel Group is committed to be a leader in responsible and sustainable tourism.
To achieve this we will continually review and adapt our internal and external practices to minimise any detrimental impact on the environment.
With the cooperation of our guests, staff, business partners and the wider community, we strive for a better tomorrow.
The Scenic Hotel Group Environmental Committee has been setup to implement any new environmental initiatives, administer the group’s environmental plan, review and ensure all introduced procedures are being adhered to.
Sustainable practices that are in place:
- Option for guests to reuse towels, to save water and reduce chemical detergents
- Energy saving light bulbs installed wherever possible
- Recycling programs in place at hotels and corporate offices
- Installation of water saving devices e.g. water reducing showerheads in hotel rooms
- Minimising waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible
- Buying New Zealand made to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution
- Chemical-free cleaning in all rooms
- Several Hotels are participating in the “Keep NZ Beautiful” program
- All products sourced locally where possible, reducing Scenic Hotel Group’s carbon miles
- Biodegradable bin liners and bags
- Printer and copier toner recycling
- Reduce paper by electronic transmission of all documentation where possible, double siding of printing, use of recycled paper etc
- Biodegradable chemicals for Kitchen cleaning
- Les Floralies NZ made natural toiletries in recyclable containers
- Partner with environmentally aware suppliers where possible. Require suppliers to provide a copy of their environmental practises
- Dual-flush toilets where possible
- Rolling out recycle bins for guest rooms
- Coat hangers from drycleaners are recycled or returned.
- Guest survey incudes questions on environmental sustainability
- Eco cloth bags being sourced for Housekeeping for rags etc
- Recycling of cooking oils where possible
- Staff suggestion boxes for new initiatives
- Local sponsorship of an environmental initiative for each Hotel to the value of $1,000 per annum
- Biodegradable eco bags available for guests to take unused room amenities
- Ongoing training of staff to ensure maximum participation in sustainable practices to improve company’s performance
Scenic Hotel Group is in the process of having hotels accessed on the Qualmark Enviro rating system with the aim to achieve a minimum Qualmark Enviro-Silver rating.
As a company we are determined to ensure New Zealand’s clean green image remains intact for future generations.