Sustainability in the South
Built in 1883, Scenic Hotel Southern Cross has a proud legacy in the South as Dunedin’s largest and most established hotel. A recent, extensive refurbishment has seen this iconic hotel transformed into a stylish hotel with contemporary furnishings whilst retaining its historical links.
Sustainable practices and a commitment to the wider environment has been at the heart of Scenic Hotel Southern Cross’s evolution and transformation and reflect its position as a leader in the city and part of this diverse and special region that includes one of New Zealand’s most prestigious universities as well as exceptional biodiversity in the wider environs.
As part of a proudly New Zealand owned and operated hotel group, Scenic Hotel Southern Cross is also committed to contributing to environmental practices and conservation causes through a range of hotel wide initiatives that include:
- Waste recycling and waste reduction including food waste and cooking oil and an onsite double recycling bin stationed for guest use.
- Energy conservation measures throughout the hotel
- NZ made toiletries in recyclable cloth ‘take home’ bags
- Supporting ‘NZ Made’
- Sustainable suppliers programme
- Guest linen reuse programme
- Staff training in sustainable hospitality environments
- Charitable support of Women’s Refuge by way of donated items
- Tourism and hospitality student development though a mentoring programme with local tourism and hospitality training organisations.
- Room voucher donations to assist Child Cancer fundraising activities
- Charitable support from the sale of soft toys to benefit the Yellow-Eyed Penguin Trust together with in-room donation cards and information about saving the critically endangered Yellow-Eyed Penguin which lives and breeds in the Southern regions of New Zealand.
Scenic Hotel Southern Cross supports sustainable living and actively encourages guests to participate in simple but highly effective hotel initiatives to help keep New Zealand Green and uphold the hotel’s Qualmark Enviro Silver Award status. This Government initiative is New Zealand tourism’s official quality assurance programme and provides an operational benchmark for the tourism industry as well as guests.
As a guest of Scenic Hotel Southern Cross you will not only enjoy genuine Kiwi hospitality in the South but also make a difference to local communities, not for profit charities and the wider environment by simply staying the night.