Important FAQs Before Your Niue Trip
As of 1 April 2023, Niue has lifted their Covid traveller restrictions including any pre-departure Covid tests and vaccination requirements. This may change in the event of future outbreaks so for all the latest information please refer to https://covid19.gov.nu/.
1. Do I have to be tested for Covid-19 once I’m in Niue
Travellers are not required to be tested for Covid-19 whilst on island. Self-administered Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) will be voluntary and are encouraged if travellers are experiencing cold and flu like symptoms.
2. What if I test positive to Covid whilst in Niue, do I need to self-isolate?
Yes. All positive Covid-19 cases in Niue need to self-isolate for a minimum period of five (5) days. Note this will be at the travellers expense, self-isolation may also prevent you from taking your scheduled flight which may result in a longer stay than planned. All flight reschedule and accommodation costs are to be paid by the traveller. We strongly advise all visitors to have comprehensive travel insurance to cover scenarios like this.
You can cancel or modify your accommodation booking free of charge up to 15-days prior to arrival for any reason.
3. Do I need travel insurance?
We strongly recommend travellers purchase Travel Insurance when travelling to Niue but it isn’t mandatory. There are limited medical facilities on island and in the event of a serious accident or illness you will need to be medevac’d back to New Zealand. Flight disruptions and weather events may also occur and as the flights to and from New Zealand are typically only once a week will result in additional unplanned days on the island.
4. If I don’t live in Auckland should I fly in the same day?
The Niue flight typically departs Auckland around 9am*. If you need to fly in from a location outside of Auckland, Air New Zealand may provide you with the option to flying into Auckland the same day. If you select this option please be aware of the following:
- the transit time between flights is typically less than 2 hours which allows for minimal delays with your domestic flight or the transit between the Auckland terminals (which are located 1km from each other)
- If a delay causes you to miss your international connection there may not be another flight to Niue for up to 7 days depending on the time of the year.
If you’d prefer to arrive the day before your flight, Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport is located nearby for your accommodation needs. With a free airport shuttle they’ll pick you up from the domestic terminal and drop you at the international terminal with plenty of time to complete the pre-departure requirements. The hotel also offers long-term car parking at very reasonable rates for any travellers driving to Auckland Airport.
5. What else do I need to pre-arrange?
Pre-booking your car hire well before you’re due to arrive, as well as any key activities with operators (e.g. Fishing Charters, Snorkelling/Diving tours), is an absolute must to avoid disappointment. There are a limited number of operators on the island and they typically run small bespoke excursions. Scenic Matavai Resort can assist with booking your car hire if you need.
Please refer to our Tips and advice or your visit to Niue article for more helpful information about visiting Niue.
6. When do flights depart/arrive Niue?*
Niue currently has one flight per week which departs Auckland on a Tuesday. Due to the 24 hour time difference on Niue it will arrive on their ‘Monday’. Flights depart Niue on Monday’s, arriving in Auckland on Tuesday (NZ Standard time). Flight time is about 3.5 hours. There are often small delays to departure / arrival times so please take this into consideration if you have booked connecting flights (particularly when returning to NZ).
Up until 31 October 2023:
- Flights depart Auckland on Tuesday’s (arriving in Niue on their ‘Monday’ due to the 24-hour time difference).
- Flights depart Niue on a Monday (arriving Auckland on Tuesday).
Between 31 October 2023 and 26 January 2024 there will be two flights per week:
- Flights depart Auckland on Wednesday’s (arriving Niue on their ‘Tuesday’); and Saturday’s (arriving in Niue on their ‘Friday’)
- The return flight departs Niue on a Tuesday or Friday (arriving back in New Zealand on Wednesday or Saturday respectively)
*Please note: Air New Zealand’s flight schedule is subject to change – always check their website for the latest information. During peak periods a second flight is sometimes added. We recommend you check the flight schedule on Air New Zealand’s website before booking your stay. If a flight schedule change occurs we’ll work with you to adjust your accommodation bookings.
Reminder: When booking your Niue accommodation, ensure the check-in date matches your flight’s arrival date which thanks to the time-zone difference will be a day behind your departure date (e.g. depart NZ on a Saturday, arrive in Niue on the Friday). If you having any trouble with working out what your resort arrival/departure dates please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly reservations team on 0800 69 69 63 who will be happy to assist with your accommodation booking.
*Refer Air New Zealand website for the latest flight schedule